About Me

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I love gerbera daisies. 20something laid back gal with an Irish-Catholic background and a thirst for beer and whiskey. Above are the Irish rioting in Philly, I aim to do my best to uphold the tradition. This is the story of my Philadelphia takeover.

6.17.2008

Sportster



As most of you know, I'm a terrible hipster, so terrible in fact, that I not only watch and play sports, but I actually ENJOY them, it's true!
Today was a big day for me. As much as I tried to act like it wasn't, it certainly ended up being exciting enough that I had little knots in my tummy. I got a call yesterday from Bicycle Therapy letting me know that my bike was fixed. As a general recap, last summer my bike and I had some tough tumbles, tough enough to break me twice with the second tumble also breaking my bike.
A year later and nice new (and expensive) fork replacement later my bike is back on the road and so am I. As I walked west on South Street I felt confident in getting back on the proverbial horse and yet when my feet hit 20th Street, leaving me a mere 2 blocks from my destination (the bike shop) I felt my stomach knot up. Thankfully for me, no one that I know who works at the shop was in at the time of pick up so I didn't have to rehash my past bike woes and I was able to take my bike by the handlebars, direct her out onto the sidewalk and have a good heart to heart with her (yes, I was talking to my bike) before donning my helmet (ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET KIDS) and hopping on for the first time.
As my foot hit the pedal and turned it until it fit comfortably in the clip and my hands gripped the handlebars I could feel the fever coming back. There's nothing like being on a bike that fits you correctly. The pavement moved under me, my thumping heart slowed to a normal pace and I confidently rode from the shop to the gym and took out my U-Lock for the first time in a year to lock her up but not without smiling to myself.
I did it. I'm back on the bike and I'm refusing to make a huge deal of it except to say, I rode to work as well and the ride is so much less stressful than the ride I used to have from West Philadelphia to Center City every day.
Did I mention, just 25 days until my triathlon?!

1 comment:

The Cozy Herbivore said...

I'm so happy that you have your bike back! Now it feels like you're really ready.