About Me

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I love gerbera daisies. 20something laid back gal with an Irish-Catholic background and a thirst for beer and whiskey. Above are the Irish rioting in Philly, I aim to do my best to uphold the tradition. This is the story of my Philadelphia takeover.

5.30.2008

Leftover Smeftover



One of my favorite challenges after making something with a lot of new ingredients is to use whatever leftover ingredients I have and incorporate them into food stuffs I normally have in my kitchen. Today I decided after a jaunt to the gym and a nice stretch and nap in the park that I needed something fresh but with substance to build me up after my workout.
Since I've been frequenting the Italian Market as well as the realms of my crock pot I have built up my spice rack and filled the produce drawers in my fridge. Speaking of fridges, I saw a fridge door on the side of the road last night on my walk home after work and I desperately wanted it but sadly knew I couldn't carry it alone for the 5 blocks ahead. Dang, what a rad "shelf". Anywho---so today's adventure led to a twist on my usual tunafish sandwich.
I used leftover shallots and grape tomotoes from my last crock pot adventure as well as some dill from a previous soup creation. I mixed these along with some Albacore canned tuna, about 4 tablespoons of mustard, 2 teaspoons of Miracle Whip and some Adobo (the catchall spice when in doubt). I put this over toasted cracked wheat bread and Romaine lettuce.
Let me tell you, I really won on this one! I also cut up some Granny Smith Apple wedges to top off my salt/sweet balance and Tah-Dah!
This is just one more reminder of how awesome it is to start exploring new ingredients while not forgetting about our favorite mainstays (like canned tuna for instance!). I would also like to add that my adjustment to eating more balanced has been a source of inspiration in the kitchen. I no longer eat because I know I should. I eat because I want to and because flavor exploration is becoming a really exciting endeavor. Spice up your life kids. It's totally worth it. (I have a ton of leftover fresh basil...the ideas are already "cooking" in my head!)

1 comment:

The Cozy Herbivore said...

man, something about the weather is making me go crazy for fresh food too... I've got the cooking bug hardcore-- it must be contagious!

Anyway, everything you make LOOKS delish. And I have to say that your lemonade cookies are still going strong in our house-- we've been eating them for breakfast!