About Me

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I love gerbera daisies. 20something laid back gal with an Irish-Catholic background and a thirst for beer and whiskey. Above are the Irish rioting in Philly, I aim to do my best to uphold the tradition. This is the story of my Philadelphia takeover.

6.06.2008

Summer Sammies


I love the way your body adjusts in the summer. Hot and heavy pastas and potato rich casseroles quickly seem too burdensome for the weather and give way to urges for chilled soups, salads and fresh sandwiches.
Today after my first brick workout my body was feeling ready for a fresh but still stick to yer bones good meal. Like I've mentioned before, I really have started to explore the world of spices and sweet/salt combinations. I had great intentions to make a hominy and zucchini chili (I'm apparently on a zucc roll right now) today but after a) waking up much later than ever expected and b) heading to the gym without my wallet I decided the chili could hold off until Sunday or Monday. So I got home and scoured my fridge (I'm keeping up with my weekly/bi-weekly trips to the Italian Market) for something to eat. I settled on something I stumbled upon a few weeks ago, a toasted turkey, ham and raspberry jam sandwich. So the jam isn't exactly the healthiest but hey, it's not the worst thing I could put into my body either. Today I made it on hoagie bread thanks to the $1, I repeat $1 bag of day old hoagie bread (about 2 lbs I'm guessing) that I got at the market this week. I got it to make homemade croutons for that zucchini soup and also to share with my new housemate the Bestest Best! Anywho, I wanted some fresh veggies as well and since I still had corn from that corn risotto I decided I'd steam some corn. Steaming the corn quickly sounded like to hot of a choice on an 80 degree day and so I decided to cut it off the cob and eat it raw.
Eating corn raw is something a lot of people don't think to do. I never had until I worked on a farm and had co-workers who would grab ears off the stalk and open 'em up only to eat them right there in the field. Sweet corn is especially delicious chilly and raw! So I cut it off the cob and went to my spice cabinet and let my instincts guide me. A dash of cumin, sprinkle of cinnamon, drizzle of honey, splash of vinegar and drop of olive oil later and I found one of my new favorite veggie side dishes. I'm not sure what to call it but for now I'll just stick with DELICIOUS!

No comments: