About Me

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I love gerbera daisies. 20something laid back gal with an Irish-Catholic background and a thirst for beer and whiskey. Above are the Irish rioting in Philly, I aim to do my best to uphold the tradition. This is the story of my Philadelphia takeover.

6.25.2008

Super Sweet Soup'n for the Summer'n

So I'm on a roll, I know I know. Two posts in less than 24 hours, what are you going to do with me? Well, this morning I decided to make some more soup(yes, soup again, I can't help it, it's my new love).
Anywho, I made some exciting waves today. I think I have two Italian market boyfriends at Giordani's.
This means free/reduced rate produce. Who am I to hate on that? Plus, one of the guys introduced himself (I think his name is Roman, tough to understand with his strong accent)and I'm looking forward to coming back next week and hopefully getting a hello from him. Nothing like becoming a regular at your local market, makes the city feel so much more homey and close.
So the soup. Today it's butternut squash soup. There's definitely apple and Sauvignon Blanc in it too which is really exciting. I don't have a muddler or a food processor so making butternut squash puree in a blender was interesting. I used the end of a plastic spoon (should have used a wooden one) as a makeshift muddler and got it caught in the blades for a mere second and only once but it still led to a wild hunt for a few bits of black plastic in my squash puree. Ah, the learning curve.
So the soup isn't much to look at but it's currently simmering away in the ole crock pot and the combination of the sweetness from the apples and white wine mixed with the bite of fresh ginger root and buttery goodness of the squash makes for a rather intoxicating summer smell.
Today I used Bestest Best's larger crock and so there's enough to share. I know BestBud Down the Block wanted some so after I run some errands and go to the gym I'm going to pack some up to take to her at work. I'm pretty excited about it.
And now for a not so unheard of scene from my kitchen these days:

While looking at that bountiful rainbow of colors I would like to mention that on my travels today I plan on buying a bamboo cutting board. If you had any idea how excited I am about this you would probably poke fun but hey if you live near me know that you'll benefit because there will be more goodies coming your way!

No comments: