About Me

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I love gerbera daisies. 20something laid back gal with an Irish-Catholic background and a thirst for beer and whiskey. Above are the Irish rioting in Philly, I aim to do my best to uphold the tradition. This is the story of my Philadelphia takeover.

6.25.2008

Grass Anyone?

LEMONGRASS YOU POTHEADS! Yeesh.

Today I explored the world of Thai food and went the distance. Not only do I now have fish sauce and chili paste in my cupboard but I also had my first experience with lemongrass.
Lemongrass is amazing. As I peeled away the first layers of tough skin I was blown away with the smell. I never understood why Lemonheads smelled the way they do, I mean I've never met a lemon that smells like a Lemonhead. Well, Lemonheads must have gotten their stink inspiration from lemongrass! It's incredible. So this stuff is super tough and you have to chop the dickens out of it before it's really edible. I really want a pestel and morter so the next time I don't have to chop it up but rather I can grind the crap out of it! Anywho, I only needed a tablespoon for my recipe so I froze the rest of my prepared grass for future food fun.
So the lemongrass was for a tangy thai marinade for salmon fillets. The marinade involved the slightly scary fish sauce along with the lemongrass, regular and dark soy sauce, honey, vinegar, chili paste and garlic. I let the salmon fillets chill in the fridge with the marinade for about 40 minutes and then I pan seared it for about 5 minutes (no joke, the stuff cooks like whoa over the burner).

I decided to make some rice pilaf to go along with the salmon and I figured I'd make use of some of the super ripe nectarines that I'd purchased at the market and throw those on top of everything along with fresh parsley.
I'm pretty happy with the results:

No comments: