About Me

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I love gerbera daisies. 20something laid back gal with an Irish-Catholic background and a thirst for beer and whiskey. Above are the Irish rioting in Philly, I aim to do my best to uphold the tradition. This is the story of my Philadelphia takeover.

3.08.2008

AKA NE Regional Stepshow

Damn. Those. Ladies. And. Gents. Can. Move.

Lets talk about my experience last night. I was invited to attend the AKA (That's Alpha Kappa Alpha) Northeast Regional Stepshow at the Philadelphia Marriott. My hostesses with the mostesses were Nicole (my apprentice) and her mother. Rounding out the crew was Nicole's good friend Percy. It was crazy. I have never been in a room with so many beautiful, charasimatic women (there were gents there too but this was a conference for a national African American sorority so you can guess the ridiculous male to female ratio).
Speaking of ratios...In a room of 3000 (and not counting the soundguy) I was the only white person. It was pretty awesome and hilarious. When Percy got seperated from us, we weren't worried...he just had to look for the white girl to know where we were sitting.
So lets talk specifics. AKA's are serious workers. They are dedicated to their sisters and to their sorority in ways I never could have imagined. There were women there in their 60's and 70's all the way down to girls in their sophomore year of college but they all had charisma and were proud to be members of this family. I felt honored to see such comradery among women spanning such a distance of time and location.
Moving on to the stepshow. Holy crap. Arms and legs, jumps, clapping, flips and canes. Truly brilliant. Thanks to Nicole for some great photos from the night:

My gracious hostesses


"Am I the only white girl here?!"


They called this "TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs"---they also won the frat competition, I mean c'mon, they were steppin on tables lifted in the air!


Third place: These girls can step with blindfolds on


The AKA Winners: They brought it...HARD.


Some frats came and showed me how the fellas use canes


The crew: "White girl, Percy-I-<3-My-Phone and Nicole (I never stop playin) Armbrister


Look closely folks, these guys gave us a living version of "Evolution"

2 comments:

The Cozy Herbivore said...

Wow. Awesome!!

Alison said...

there's a step team where i teach and those ladies are A-MA-ZING--and that's only in HS!